WOW's new Team Training technique is based on a state-of-the-art program currently utilized by athletes, professional trainers, and sports therapists world-wide.
Functional Movement Screening operates off the assumption that each individual develops movement patterns as they grow into adults, which inherently generate imbalances and limitations unique to each person’s body.
- REAL lifestyle movements
- Trainer watches you do things you do in everyday life and sees which muscles you use and which muscles you are protecting/ over-compensating for
- Those who aren’t ready for team training start with a fundamental class and eventually graduate to higher class
Benefits of the Functional Movement Screening
• Improve functional fitness and athletic performance
• Establish a starting point and realistic goals
• Create a completely personalized fitness plan
• Identify dangerous weaknesses before injury occurs
• Identify and resolve movement problems
• Build lasting fitness instead of temporary ability
• Measure and establish a record of progress
Additional Benefits of FMS:
- FM screen and corresponding corrective exercises make up the core training program used to improve an individual’s active lifestyle and fitness goals
- Main idea: imbalances/ limitations cause body to over compensate or substitute other, less effective movement patterns. These are easily and often overlooked
- Reduces potential for injury
- Identifies weaknesses and allows trainer to individualize program to your needs
- Performance Pyramid:
- mental image used to understand human movement patterns. It is made up of 3 rectangles which build off one another. Each represents a certain type of movement.
- 1st: base—ability to move through fundamental patterns. Assessed through MOVEMENT SCREEN.
- 2nd: performance—how efficient you are at moving in those fundamental patternsàability to generate power; gross athleticism. Compares individuals of different size/ strengths in a general format. Measures simple movements; avoids specificity. Assessed through PERFORMANCE TESTING.
- 3rd: Specific skills—ability to do a given activity. Assessed through SPORTS-SPECIFIC testing and SPORT STATISTICS.
- Four Common Pyramids:
- Optimal Pyramid: movement patterns, movement efficiency, and sports skill are balanced and adequate.
- Over-powered pyramid
- Under-powered pyramid
- Under skilled pyramid
- Mobility: combination of muscle flexibility, joint range of motion and a body segment’s freedom of movement
- Stability: ability to maintain posture and control movement. Static/ Dynamic
- Most individuals sacrifice QUALITY of motion to maintain QUANTITY of motion and in turn over-compensate to overcome functional deficiencies. Many fitness injuries/ problems come from a combination of poor mobility and stability. FMT is designed to understand the interaction of mobility and stability in each individual body.
- Even high performers can score low in FM assessments, meaning they will be prone to injury
- As children, we grow in complete balance as we learn to do daily movements. A child would pass the FMS easily. During puberty, our bodies grow asymmetrically, which brings about changes in movement patterns. These movement patterns are set as we become adults. Most of us never again possess the balance we had as children.
- Clear and objective criteria have been developed so that the “tester” can be as objective as possible
We naturally overcompensate for these limitations through over-utilizing less effective muscle groups as we go about performing daily lifestyle motions. This not only puts our weaker areas at risk of injury, but also results in consistent under-performance in physical training and in the basic movement patterns we engage in each day.
Womens Only Workout's exciting new Team Training Classes in Chapel Hill will individually assess these weaknesses and determine the best way to correct them through our progressive, specialized sessions. As a result, you will build lasting fitness instead of temporary ability, allowing you to pursue both daily tasks and athletic goals at your optimal physical potential.
Call us today to get scheduled for a Functional Movement Screening and our Team Training Sessions!